Monday, December 26, 2011

Blake Lively and Leonardo DiCaprio Split - What May Have Gone Wrong

Credit: Fame Pictures
Us Weekly confirmed yesterday that Gossip Girl actress Blake Lively, 24, split from Inception star Leonardo DiCaprio, 36. I'm a bit disappointed about this one given all of the press about how well it was going. Their success was attributed to Blake doing The Rules on Leo.

For those of you who don't know, The Rules is a dating bible must-have by Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider. Written in 1995, celebrity women to...well...the rest of us, follow their advice. It's timeless.

So, why did their relationship end if Blake was doing The Rules?

One aspect of the philosophy is that women must do The Rules throughout the relationship -- not just in the beginning. A few weeks ago, I remember a snippet about how Blake flew to Australia to see Leo for his birthday. I tried to make a Rules case for her. I told myself, 'well, it wasn't like she stayed a week. She went for a quick jaunt on his birthday and came home. He was filming/working, couldn't get away, and really wanted to see her.' Yet, I couldn't shake the feeling that she shouldn't have gone.

My sister, who lives in the UK, called today and one of the first things she asked me was "what happened with Blake and Leo?" Here's how the conversation went...

Sister: What happened with Blake and Leo?
Me: I dunno... I haven't read the whole story yet.
Sister: Well, they broke up.
Me: Oh, maybe she fell down on The Rules. (Gum smack) She flew to Australia for him you know?
Sister: But what if he invited her?
Me: She shouldn't have gone.
Sister: But what if he paid?
Me: Doesn't matter. She shouldn't have gone. He probably invited her and paid.
Sister: But, she's a great actress, honors her commitments. Not like she doesn't have a life outside of Leo.
Me: Agreed. She's very professional for such a young age. I don't even have that work ethic. I think she was too available last minute, though, and he knew he had her. Leo doesn't want to know he has someone. He had Gisele and Bar. I don't think he wanted to know he had Blake.

I further added, "sis, I wish it were different. I want to put my head on a man's chest and say, 'let's get married. Let's have babies. Can I cook for you? I have an awesome crock pot recipe. Can I make you a little chubby? How do you feel about burial plots?"

Trust me! Women think because I write this blog that I don't have these feelings and I do. Yet, me having the aforementioned conversation with a man doesn't yield results. It's a matter of efficiency. I do The Rules and act "as if" I don't care. "As if" I have so many other men pursuing me that I don't have time to think about weddings, crock pots, and babies...and cupcakes with frosting on their fingers.

Funny enough though, it's not an act. When you're a die hard Rules girl, it ceases being a stretch and becomes a way of life. You fight your inner, needy, approval-seeking want and focus on yourself.

Back to my point about Blake and Leo... everyone says "Leo's a player and will never settle down." I can't wholeheartedly agree with this until there's a woman who does The Rules on him top to bottom and then still doesn't get him. Nevertheless, Blake did a fantastic job on The Rules at the outset. Her next love lesson will be follow-thru until he proposes and beyond. She'll get there, though. She's brilliant, level-headed, and doesn't strike me as making the same mistake twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment